Junior Rugby

This season started off quite late.  Our coach Mr John Farrell told us that we had a league match against defending cup champions Calasanctus Ornmore.  For days before the match we got two training sessions in and the starting team for the match was picked.

The match was very close throughout but in the end we won 17-13 with captain Jack Codyre and Dylan Connolly in the sin bin at the end.  We scored tries from Ian Duffy and Jack Parsons.  Conor Barrett and Ian Duffy scored a conversion each and Ian Duffy scored a penalty.  From that match we knew we had the makings of a very good team.

Our next match was against our rivals Marist college from Athlone.  We didn’t start the same team that started against Oranmore because we wanted to see what some of the other players were like.  We lost this match 21-17 because we could not make the most of our chances and had too may silly mistakes.  We scored out two tries from Jack Parsons, which brought us back into the game but in the end it was not enough. Ian Duffy scored a conversion and a penalty and Conor Bareett scored a conversion.

After receiving a walkover from Athlone Community College our next match was against Gallen Community School from Ferbane.  We needed to win by nineteen points to get into the league final.  The weather was awful the day of the match.  It never stopped raining throughout the match.  We started well by scoring two tries through Jack Parsons at the start of the match. Ian Duffy added the conversion to give us a 14-0 half time lead.  At half time the referee called the coaches over and decided to call the match off.   The game was not replayed and we missed out on a place in the league final.

Due to the bad weather we only had one match between the league and cup.  This was a friendly away to Marist College.  We got revenge for the league match earlier in the year by beating them 12-0 and in doing so became the first Garbally team to win in the Marist since 2007.

Soon after that we had to play our cup quarterfinal against last years beaten finalists Rice college Westport.  They were favourites for the match because away games in Westport are never easy and they also had many players back from last years starting team.

We did not get off the greatest of starts, conceding an early try.  Ian Duffy scored a drop goal, which needed a slight deflection to go over to bring the score to 7-3.  Fifteen minutes into the match we lost flanker Jack Parsons through injury.  Rice College made the most of the advantage scoring two breakaway tries to leave the score 19-3 at half time.

To make matters worse Rice college scored a try fifteen minutes into the second half.  They missed the conversion to leave the score 24-3.  We were not going to give up and after a few changes we started to dominate the game.  We finally broke through the Rice College defence with fifteen minutes left with a try from Stephen Tierney,.  Conor Barrett added the conversion to bring the score to 24-10.

Almost straight away we were back in the Rice 22.  With ten minutes left Conor Barrett scored a try in the corner.  He added the conversion to bring the score to 24-17.  With the end of the game near we needed a converted try but we were broken by a good Rice defence and clock.

It was a very disappointing way to end a game that we could have won.  To add to our frustrations Rice College went on to win the cup.


I would like to thank Mr. John Farrell for all the work he put in throughout the year.


Back row:  S. Tierney, K. Flynn, D. Dolan, C. Barrett, S. Holland, D. Connolly, A. Mannion, J. Kilmartin, C. Lyons

Front row:  D. O’Hara, R. Kelly, S.Keller, S. Lyons, J. Codyre, I. Fletcher, C. Dooley,

I. Duffy, C. Noone

Seated:  R. Glennon, S. Horan, P. Gilsenan, C. Donnellan